Friday, November 13, 2009

Braids & Conservative Whites?

My mother, an African American woman, is going for an interview for a company that's mostly white. She wears her hair in braids. Would this be viewed as too 'militant' among conservative whites?



Braids %26amp; Conservative Whites?

Everybody should get along, don't insult other people.



Braids %26amp; Conservative Whites?

This is a good question. It all depends on how her hair looks. If it is neat, and can be styled in a conservative manner, then she should be fine.



But if its like extensions with crazy curles and colors, um.. no. LOL Braids arent seen as inappropriate by all, but that tends to vary based on where you live.



I would just tell her to be sure she styles her hair in a professional manner... perhaps pulled back from her face, and GOOD LUCK!



Braids %26amp; Conservative Whites?

No, I wouldn't see the problem there. Braids are often a part of the African American culture, but there's other races who wear braids too (I've seen many hispanics braid their hair, filipinos, and even some whites). The hair doesn't make the woman, it's the personality that does. So if your mom is a hard working honest woman, I see no problem. :-) Best of luck to her and hope she gets the job.



Braids %26amp; Conservative Whites?

I think it is fine, as long as the hair is clean and well-kept, etc...



She should remember the interview rules....dress for one job above the one she is applying.



Wear only one piece of jewelry.



Wear modest make-up.



Make sure the clothes are nice looking, nicely pressed and conservative.



Once she has the job, and her foot in the door...she should then follow whatever written dress code the company has...and if she wants to advance in the company...again, she should always dress for one job above the one she has....and dress more conservatively than the written dress code.



I believe there is a time and place for everything...and while I am a gay man...I do not wear tight jeans and a disco shirt to work...I save those for clubbing on the weekends....likewise, all other groups, I feel should do the same...dress for the occasion....



Braids %26amp; Conservative Whites?

It depends on the company..but usually in my experience they don't mind...they usually have problems with men wearing braids...Tell your mom Good Luck!!!



Braids %26amp; Conservative Whites?

honestly, who really cares what a white person think about blacks, i don't run my life to please them



Braids %26amp; Conservative Whites?

I would advise her not to wear them. I would not consider some one with them as much as some one without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment